The research unit is organised in three subgroups focusing on glioma biology, drug resistance and systems approaches. We are working closely with the neurosurgery department of the Centre Hospitalier Luxembourg (CHL), and have established a platform for patient derived xenograft (PDX) models and for small animal in vivo imaging (MRI, PET) dedicated to brain tumour imaging.
Strategic research goals
- Clear focus on a highly malignant brain cancer for which no cure is available (5 year survival of Glioblastoma patients is less than 10%).
- Application of clinically relevant animal models (patient derived xenografts) that enable translational research and pave the way for personalised medicine.
- Global approach and strong team work with dedicated expertise covering all major technological aspects required to target brain cancer.
- Strong international network with formal collaboration agreements (KG Jebsen Brain Tumour Research Center, Department of Biomedicine, University of Bergen, Norway; The Arthur and Sonja Labatt Brain Tumour Research Centre, Toronto, Canada).
- Highly connected to national partners (University of Luxembourg, Centre Hospitalier Luxembourg, Centre François Baclesse, Laboratoire national de santé) and embedded in national initiatives (e.g. Plan Cancer, Personalized Medicine Consortium).
Head of research unit
Prof Simone P. Niclou , PhD, is Head of the Norlux Neuro-Oncology Laboratory and Head of the Animal Facility at LIH. Her field of expertise includes Biology of malignant brain tumours with a focus on angiogenesis, invasion, tumour metabolism and tumour heterogeneity. She has strong expertise in patient derived animal models for gliomas.
Since 2014, she is an adjunct professor at the KG Jebsen Brain Tumour Research Center, University of Bergen, Norway.
Prof Niclou serves as a representative of Luxembourg, as Council Member of the European Association for Cancer Research (EACR) and has been appointed President of the Board of Directors of the Laboratoire National de Santé in 2015. She is a regular invited speaker at numerous international scientific conferences, and she has been a guest lecturer at national and international universities.