The EPHRU covers a wide range of research and service activities in the field of epidemiology and public health. Specifically, we conduct:
- epidemiological studies in the general population;
- public health surveillance, particularly public health registries (cancer, injuries, nosocomial infections and perinatal);
- clinical, multidisciplinary epidemiological research, in collaboration with clinicians;
- public health consultancy activities such as health care and health system assessment, health web portal management.
Research themes cover diseases which are prevalent in Luxembourg, Europe and worldwide, such as:
- cardio-metabolic disease, and their underlying risk factors: diabetes, hypertension, obesity, metabolic syndrome, lifestyle, nutrition, physical activity and psychosocial factors;
- cancer and more notably survival analysis compared with therapeutic models and procedures;
- neuro-degenerative diseases associated with ageing and cognitive decline;
- quality of life, general wellbeing and mental health research.
Research covers the lifespan: from antenatal care, to the health of young people, adults and the elderly.
Head of research unit
The head of research unit is assisted by Prof Saverio Stranges a medical doctor, public health specialist and chronic disease epidemiologist, with extensive experience in the field of epidemiology and public health research.
Associate Head of research unit
Dr Sophie Couffignal is a medical doctor and an epidemiologist. She is the associate head of the (EPHRU). She provides advice on methodological and epidemiological aspects for public health projects conducted by the unit. The National Data Protection Committee has accredited her as a responsible for data protection within the LIH.