Internship Position in Epidemiology and Biostatistics (Master students) - MRMV0920
1A-B, rue Thomas Edison, Strassen 1445, Luxembourg
ObjectivesOur team focuses on understanding how exposure to environmental pollutants and dietary constituents impact on cardiometabolic outcomes. We study differences related to environmental pollutants and micro-nutrient status in Luxembourg through analyses of hair concentrations of pollutants and plasma/serum concentrations of micro-nutrients, inflammatory, oxidative stress markers, hormones implicated in energy and adipocyte homeostasis and blood lipids.
Training and research Environment
Micronutrients, pollutants and cardiometabolic health in luxembourg “iMPACT.lu” is a multidisciplinar project funded by the Fonds National de la Recherche (FNR). The project belongs to the Department of Population Health, whose research activities focus on epidemiology and public health.
As part of the project iMPACT.lu, we are offering the opportunity for a Master student to complete an internship to assess possible interactions between micro-nutrients/phytochemicals and environmental pollutants associated to cardiometabolic outcomes and risk factors using (un)supervised machine learning and clustering methods.
The intership will be co-supervised by Dr. Ruiz-Castell, a researcher in epidemiology and public health and Dr. Michel Vaillant, head of the Competence Center for Methodology and Statistics.
- Master student in biostatistics, data science or comparable.
- Good understanding of epidemiological methods and study designs.
- Proficiency in written English. Any other language in use in Luxembourg would also be an asset.
- Good interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Applicants must be affiliated to their own university.
- Discuss results with the project supervisors.
- Interpret the result statistically.
- Participate in project meetings.
- Contribute in drafting progress reports.
- Participate in the drafting of scientific articles.
What we offer and conditions
- Students will have the opportunity to work in an interactive and international scientific environment, attend conferences by eminent scientists from abroad, and present their work during department meetings.
- They will have the opportunity to gain skills in statistical methods and epidemiology.
- A monthly compensation of 642,60 €/month will be paid.
- Applicants should be enrolled in a Master program and the internship should be a mandatory part of the diploma.
- Students from abroad can apply for ans Erasmus grant.
Available for 6 months - full-time - Start date January 2021
More information about the group can be found here: https://www.lih.lu/page/departments/doph-department-of-population-health-779
Dr. Maria Ruiz-Castell, PhD
84 Val Fleuri
Dr. Michel VAILLANT, PhD
84 Val Fleuri