Internship in Toxicology/Public Health - BATB0521
1A-B, rue Thomas Edison, Strassen 1445, Luxembourg
Within the Department of Population Health, Brice Appenzeller, Head of the Human Biomonitoring Research Unit and Torsten Bohn, PhD, Head of the Nutrition and Health Research Group, aim to explore in a joint research project the contribution of food items and dietary patterns to organic pollutant intake, such as pesticides, polychlorinated bisphenyls etc. This inter-disciplinary project will be important for local stakeholders in Luxembourg and contributes scientifically to identify major routes of intakes of organic pollutants.
project related to toxicology and nutrition, we are offering a 6-month internship for a Master student
at our premises. The student will make use of existing data (pollutants
measured in hair and dietary intake by Food Frequency Questionnaires) and match
the consumption of certain food groups with databases on pollutants, interpret
final results in sight of contaminations measured in humans and turn findings
into a publication. Statistical support in-house is available.
- Writing a high-level scientific paper in the area of pollutant intake from food groups.
- Discuss results within the group & with other researchers.
- Interpret findings statistically.
- Participate in project meetings & organization.
- Give presentations at local institute level.
- Join other group-based activities.
What we offer and conditions
- Young researchers and students have the opportunity to work in an interdisciplinary & international scientific environment, benefitting from the diverse exchange with other scientists in and across the Department.
- An environment allowing further training in a variety of health-related domains, fostering acquiring transversal competencies such as presentation & communication skills, scientific English, statistical data evaluation as well as specific training in Epidemiology.
- A close link to clinical, statistical & data analysis, as well as laboratory facilities.
- A compensation of 660,58€/month will be paid.
- Applicants should be enrolled in a Master program and the internship should be a mandatory part of the diploma.
- Students from abroad can apply for an Erasmus grant.
What we offer and conditions
- Master level in Nutritional Epidemiology, Public Health, Toxicology, or comparable.
- A first experience in working on large datasets.
- Good statistical knowledge and hands-on experience with statistical programs (e.g. SPSS, R, and/or SAS…).
- Good writing skills in English. Any other language in use in Luxembourg would also be an asset (French, German, Luxembourgish).
- Good organizational skills.
Available for 6 months - full time - Start date: asap
More information about the Department of Population Health can be found here: https://www.lih.lu/page/departments/doph-department-of-population-health-779
Brice APPENZELLER, PhD
84, Val Fleuri
Torsten BOHN, PhD
84 Val Fleuri