Internship in Nutrition & Physical Activity, Sport & Health (Master students) - TBLM0521
1A-B, rue Thomas Edison, Strassen 1445, Luxembourg
Within the Department of Population Health, Torsten Bohn, PhD Head of the Nutrition and Health Research Group and Laurent Malisoux, PhD, Head of the Physical Activity, Sport & Health research Group, we seek a Master student for a joint project. More specifically, the student will investigate changes of dietary patterns regarding antioxidant intake (dietary antioxidant index) and physical activity in Luxembourg in relation to vascular health, based on results from a nationwide epidemiological study (ORISCAV-LUX 2).
A close collaboration with our other teams of the Department within LIH is foreseen.
The main tasks of the student will be related to data-based research and statistical analyses (descriptive, correlation and regression analyses) on the relation of antioxidant intake from the diet and physical activity (IPAC, Accelerometer) and their combined relation to vascular health (flow mediated dilation, blood lipids, blood glucose, CRP, uric acid, among other).
- Organization of epidemiological databases.
- Definition of target variables/outcomes related to antioxidant rich food items and constituents, physical activity descriptors.
- Statistical analysis on antioxidant intake patterns, food group consumption, physical activity.
- Writing of a Master thesis in English.
- Discussing results within the group & other researchers.
- Participating in project meetings & giving presentations.
what we offer and conditions
- Young researchers and students have the opportunity to work in an interdisciplinary & international scientific environment, benefitting from the diverse exchange with other scientists in and across the Department.
- An environment allowing further training in a variety of health-related domains, fostering acquiring transversal competencies such as presentation & communication skills, scientific English, statistical data evaluation as well as specific training in Epidemiology.
- A close link to clinical, statistical & data analysis, as well as laboratory facilities.
- A compensation of 660,58€/month will be paid.
- Applicants should be enrolled in a Bachelor/Master program and the internship should be a mandatory part of the diploma.
- Students from abroad can apply for an Erasmus grant.
- Bachelor/Master level in Nutritional Sciences, Epidemiology, Public Health with a focus on diet & physical activity, or comparable.
- Experience in working on large datasets.
- Good statistical knowledge and hands-on experience with statistcal programs (SPSS,R, SAS, STATA…).
- Good proficiency in English (written & oral). Any other language in use in Luxembourg would also be an asset (French, German, Luxembourgish).
- Good organizational skills.
Available for 6 months - full time - Start date: asap
More information about the Department of Population Health can be found here: https://www.lih.lu/page/departments/doph-department-of-population-health-779
Torsten BOHN, PhD
84 Val Fleuri
Laurent MALISOUX, PhD
84 Val Fleuri