Internship in Health Data Science, Biostatistics, Epidemiology (Master students) -GFMV0920
1A-B, rue Thomas Edison, Strassen 1445, Luxembourg
Background. A few clinical factors such as sex, obesity or comorbidities have already been associated with Covid-19 severity, but there is a need to identify additional epidemiological, clinical, digital and biological characteristics and perform deep phenotyping of patients according to their severity. The objectives of Predi-COVID are 1) to identify new determinants of Covid-19 severity and 2) to conduct deep phenotyping of patients by stratifying patients according to their risk of complications, as well as risk factors of infection in household members of Predi-COVID participants (Predi-COVID-H ancillary study).
Objectives. The project aims at identifying clusters of people with Covid-19 based on a large set of clinical, epidemiological and biological features from the large prospective Predi-COVID cohort study1.
Training and research environment. The intern will be cosupervised by Dr Guy Fagherazzi, (“Deep Digital Phenotyping Research Unit” and Dr Michel Vaillant (“Competence Center for Methodology and Statistics”) from the Department of Population Health. The Master student will directly contribute to the research effort on Covid-19 in Luxembourg. He/she will lead a project on a clustering analysis of a large dataset from the Predi-COHORT study to identify clinically-relevant sub-groups of people with Covid-19. He/She will have to take in charge the literature review, the pre-processing of the data, the data analysis and the preparation of a scientific article. This internship position may lead to a PhD opportunity in epidemiology or biostatistics.
- Master level in Biostatistics, Data Science, Epidemiology or equivalent required.
- Flexibility, adaptability, autonomy.
- Ability to work with different profiles and people with different experiences and cultural backgrounds.
- Language skills: Fluency in French and English, with written skills in both languages. Any other language in use in Luxembourg would be an asset.
- Applicants must be affiliated to their own university.
What we offer and conditions
- Students will have the opportunity to work in an interactive and international scientific environment, attend conferences by eminent scientists from abroad, and present their own work during lab meetings.
- They will receive training in digital epidemiology research and data science and will have the opportunity to gain skills in data analysis, AI methods applied to audio data.
- A monthly compensation of 642,60€ will be paid.
- Applicants should be enrolled in a Master program and the internship should be a mandatory part of the diploma.
- Students from abroad can apply for an Erasmus grant.
Available for 6 months - full-time - Start date 2020/2021
More information about the group can be found here : https://www.lih.lu/page/departments/doph-department-of-population-health-779
Dr. Guy FAGHERAZZI, PhD
84 Val Fleuri
Dr. Michel VAILLANT, PhD
84 Val Fleuri