Internship in Epidemiology and Public Health for Master Student - TB0418
1A-B, rue Thomas Edison, Strassen 1445, Luxembourg
Within the Epidemiology and Public Health Research Unit, Dr. Torsten Bohn, Principal Investigator, is in charge of the FNR funded project “CAROPROT”, which aims to explore the interaction of proteins on the digestion and bioavailability of carotenoids, a group of secondary bioactive plant derived constituents. Carotenoids have been associated in several epidemiological studies with a reduced risk of several chronic diseases such as cardiometabolic complications and diabetes.
Within this project, we are offering the opportunity for a Master student to complete an internship within our facilities, focussing on practical analytical aspects.
The main tasks of the student will be to investigate the interaction of proteins and carotenoids from plant food matrices during simulated gastro-intestinal digestion, employing an already established in vitro model. Endpoints determined will include bioaccessibility of carotenoids, cellular uptake of carotenoids, digestibility of proteins and lipids, and selected physico-chemical measures such as surface tenion of the digesta, determined by tritrimetric and spectrophotometric methods.
- Provide a scientific review of the available literature on relevant research sites (eg PubMed);
- Analyze food matrices for carotenoids and proteins;
- Conducting digestion of test matrices and carotenoid standards;
- Discuss results with the project leader;
- Interpret the results statistically;
- Participate in project meetings;
- Write progress reports;
- Participate in the writing of scientific articles.
KEY SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Master student with a university education focussing on biomedical, nutritional or pharmaceutical sciences or comparable;
- Practical experience in laboratory analyses;
- Proficiency in written English;
- Good interpersonal skills, listening skills, organized.
what we offer and conditions
- The Master student will have the opportunity to work in an interactive and international scientific environment, and to attend lectures by eminent scientists from abroad;
- He/She will receive training in presentation and communication skills, scientific English, statistical data evaluation, and of course training (practical and in theory) in the specific field of the internship;
- He/She will receive 500€/month unless they have their own funding source, e.g. Erasmus grant.
Internship contract of 5 to 6 months, full time, date of entry: July 2018 or later
Applications including a cover letter and a full curriculum vitae should be sent before mid June 2018 .