Internship in Data Science/ Public Health (Master Students) - MSCB0621
1A-B, rue Thomas Edison, Strassen 1445, Luxembourg
Within the Department of
Population Health, Claudine Backes, PhD, Epidemiologist of the National Cancer Registry of Luxembourg and Michaël Schnell, PhD, Head of Unit IT
eXpertise in Health Data, aim to explore in a joint research project on how to
develop simple methods to be used in public health big data management based on
experience gathered with the National Cancer Registry of Luxembourg. The
project is entitled “Big data in healthcare: Simplified method for a versatile
use – experiences from oncology sectors” and represents an inter-disciplinary
project important for international approaches on how to best use health data
and open up new horizons.
For this project, we are offering a 6-month compensated internship for a Master student or similar at our premises. The objective of the internship will be to analyze existing data flow methods and literature implemented in public health. In a first step, the intern will review existing literature to understand how data is linked, merged and validated in the public health sector. Based on this review, a methodology will be developed with the supervisors for future use in the department and beyond.
- Writing a high-level scientific paper in the area of Digital Epidemiology.
- Discuss results within the group & with other researchers.
- Participate in project meetings & organization.
- Give presentations at the local institute level.
- Join other group-based activities.
what we offer and conditions
- Young researchers and students have the opportunity to work in an interdisciplinary & international scientific environment, benefitting from the diverse exchange with other scientists in and across the Department.
- An environment allowing further training in a variety of health-related domains, fostering acquiring transversal competencies such as presentation & communication skills, scientific English, statistical data evaluation as well as specific training in Epidemiology.
- A close link to clinical, statistical & data analysis, as well as laboratory facilities.
- A compensation of 660,58€/month will be paid.
- Applicants should be enrolled in a Master program and the internship should be a mandatory part of the diploma.
- Students from abroad can apply for an Erasmus grant.
- Master level in Cancer or Digital Epidemiology, Public Health, Computer Science, or comparable.
- A first experience in working on datasets.
- Hands-on experience with literature review tools.
- Good proficiency in English (written & oral). Any other language in use in Luxembourg would also be an asset (French, German, Luxembourgish).
- Good organizational skills.
Available for 6 months - full time - Start date: asap
More information about the Department of Population Health can be found here: https://www.lih.lu/page/departments/doph-department-of-population-health-779
Michaël SCHNELL, PhD
84 Val Fleuri
Claudine BACKES, PhD
84 Val Fleuri